There is an abundance to do here while visiting Erie, PA! Millions of people visit Erie each year for numerous recreational activities. Our close proximity to Pittsburgh, Buffalo, Cleveland, and Ontario makes Erie the Regional Playground for visitors!
Erie Gymnastics Center hosts a number of prominent events throughout the year that bring people to Erie. Among those prominent events are the Stars & Stripes Coed Gymnastics Invitational (Winter) / PA State Gymnastics Championships (Spring) / Competitive Camps (Summer).... This page is here for all of our visitors, thus, many of the activities listed here are seasonal. But, Erie is equipped to handle FUN and Visitors any time of year! Last year Erie won the "Snow Globe" Award - (given to the US city 100,000+ with the largest amount of Snowfall. Last year we had 138 inches of Snow!!!
We recommend visiting - visiteriepa.com for a full list of what's going on right now!
Must do while in Erie
- Presque Isle State Park - 11 miles of pristine beaches & nature trails
- Waldemere Amusement Park - right outside of Presque Isle - ride the Ravine Flyer (probably the best wooden Roller Coaster I've ever ridden - out of your seat more than you're in it)
- Take (rent) a Boat ride out on Lake Erie - Tubing / Water Ski / beautiful sunsets in the lake!
- World class Walleye, Small mouth Bass & Salmon Fishing
- Summer Concert Series - Ourdoor Concerts on Presque Isle & Pepsi Ampitheater.
- Cherryfest - largest Fireman's Parade centered around the Cherry Harvest - great food & drink
- Roar on the Shore - Hop on a Harley and drive up for headline bands and biker camaraderie- 50,000 bike for 3 day rally!
- Lake Erie Speedway - for Racing Fans! Doug's favorite is Crash-a-Rama (a smash-up derby) with numerous events including School Buses on a figure 8 track designed for carnage / and the ever popular Truck & Trailer figure 8!
- Winefest - Sample wines from the area while listening to live music and great food. Take a tour of the numerous famous Wineries in the area.
- Zoo Boo - Visit the Erie Zoo with hundreds of animals in your Halloween Costume
- Salmon & Steelhead Run - Fish the numerous streams when the Steelhead and Salmon start to run.
- Presque Isle State Park & Tom Ridge Environmental Center - watch the leaves change while sitting on the beach!
- Stars & Stripes Gymnastics Invitational - obviously!
- Ice Fishing on Presque Isle Bay - hundred of ice-huts littler the bay with fisherman hoping for the big one.
- Splash Lagoon - indoor Water Park - always 84 degrees with oodles of slides / lazy river / Jacuzzi / Tiki Bar
- Peak-n-Peak Ski Resort - Skiing / Snow Boarding / Tubing / Half Pipes / Black Diamonds....
- Millcreek Mall - visited by thousands each year (especially out-of-state and Canadians (no tax on clothing in PA) 100's of stores and a very large food court.
- Presque Isle Downs & Casino - Watch live horse races daily and bet your favorite / Slots / Table Games / Restaurants
- Fishing - follow the spring Salmon run / Trophy Walleye in the shallows in the lake
- Erie Maritime Museum tour - History of the War of 1812 / tour the brig Niagara.
- Visit Dobbin's Landing - go to the top of the lookout and see for miles over the lake and Presque Isle.
- Junior's Last Laugh - Headliners come for Stand-up Comedy